Ramarley Graham Was Killed By The NYPD Over Two Years Ago, And Nothing Has Happened
It’s been two and a half years since NYPD officers barged into the Bronx home of Ramarley Graham without a warrant, fatally shooting the unarmed teen in front of his grandmother and 6-year-old brother.
It’s been a little over two years since officers cheered fellow cop Richard Haste after he pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges for killing Graham, as Graham’s parents sobbed.
Haste exits the courthouse after posting bail in New York, Wednesday, June 13, 2012 as his fellow cops cheer and clap. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
It’s been a little over a year since a judge tossed out the indictment against Haste because of a technicality, and it’s been exactly one year since another grand jury declined to indict Haste.
Friday also marks the one-year anniversary of when the Department of Justice announced it would investigate Graham’s death. The DOJ has remained silent on the investigation since then, and declined to comment on its status for this story.
And it marks another year that Graham’s mother, Constance Malcolm, says her family has gone without justice.
“Richard Haste — I just want to see him pay the price for what he did to my child,” Malcolm says while sitting by her son’s grave in a video posted to YouTube on Thursday by the Justice Committee, a police reform advocacy group. “Richard Haste is free, working, collecting a paycheck, while I’m here waiting to see if the Department of Justice is going to take the case.
She mentions a petition at Color of Change, which already has over 32,000 signatures, that calls on the Justice Department to prosecute Haste. Malcolm, who’s also filed a civil suit against the city, plans to deliver the petition to the Justice Department in person on Aug. 20 at noon.
She and five other mothers whose sons were killed by police met with NYPD Inspector General Philip Eure on Wednesday. They asked Eure to investigate the department’s use of force, especially in incidences leading to death.